Monday 14 December 2015

Mindful Monday: Slow Down

   A new week has begun, a fresh start on our family routine. Mornings before Ben leaves for work are a special little window of time when we make our hot drinks, cook and eat breakfast together, chat about our sleep and our dreams, say a morning offering (if we remember), and share bright smiles with the baby.
 
   My intention is to always enjoy these events, and all of life, really, with an attitude of mindfulness, or "living in the moment". But it is just so easy to forget.

  This morning when Peregrine, who had slept a little longer than us, awoke, I got him up and immediately proceeded to the change table to remove his heavy soggy diaper. He began to cry, but I ploughed ahead with the diaper change. I mean, it had to get done, right?
   Ben, though, came over to us and said "just let me comfort him for a minute". He picked up Perrin, walked about cuddling him briefly, and returned him to me contented and smiling. Then the job was finished while all three of us conversed in baby language.

   My love's intervention didn't take much time, but it was a great reminder to me that there is no need to force life along for the sake of "getting things done". This is our life, right now, right in this moment. Not in ten minutes, not tomorrow, but now. It is ok to go at whatever pace allows this moment to be one of love and peace, not of hurrying. Even if less gets accomplished, so to speak, it is a better accomplishment to be living well. Thanks hubby.



No comments:

Post a Comment