Saturday 23 January 2016

Self-Care Saturday: Adult Colouring

    For my birthday, my mom got me The Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book by Johanna Basford. She didn't know it was on my wishlist!

   This bestseller is at the forefront of a new trend of adult colouring books. It seems tons of others besides myself find it therapeutic to colour inside the lines. Especially to those who aren't artistic themselves, or those who simply don't have time or energy to produce original art at certain times, it gives the satisfaction of orderliness and the nourishment of producing something beautiful in the real world. Seeing the colours blossom in front of you without having to do a whole lot of creative work.

   Of course I don't intend that a colouring book should be a replacement for my own artwork, but at certain times (like stages of baby-induced sleep deprivation), I just need something mindless yet soothing to refresh myself. And Facebook does not quite fit the bill.

   Here is the first page I've been working on, stealing a couple minutes here and there in my day to make it spring to life. I'm really enjoying it!



No comments:

Post a Comment