Monday 11 January 2016

Mindful Monday: Enjoy the Process

   

   Checklists. I love checklists. And without mine, some important stuff would never be remembered. Sometimes I need them for daily things, like feeding the animals, or even remembering to drink water. Sometimes they are checklists of reminders for Ben (while trying to avoid nagging, of course), but things that would easily slip both our minds if I didn't have them written down, like needing to call the mechanic. And then there are the once-in-a-while projects - cleaning the fridge, polishing silver items - to remember when there are scraps of spare time (haha).

   Also there is a great satisfaction to checking off what's been done. Finished. Completed. Nicely tied up with a ribbon on top. Mmmmm - check!
   A large part of me is driven by what is accomplished in a day. How much is getting done.


   As I'm sure you can guess what I'm about to say, however, this has a few dangers. Here are the three that strike me the most:

1. Never letting myself be finished.

   If I have the idea that I can only be satisfied and enjoy life when everything is done, then I'd probably be better off just giving up altogether. The only way that could happen is if I could somehow freeze time just when the house is pristine, the bellies full and the baby asleep. And then nobody ever eat again. Or move, cause dust might collect.

2. Forgetting what has already been accomplished.

    One day I had the idea to make myself a "done" list, rather than a "to do" list, cause I find once things are done, they vanish out of my mind and all I see is all that's left. It can get discouraging. I didn't make that list, but I think it would be a good exercise. To write down each thing you accomplish as you do it, and then at the end of the day to have a positive list of your successes, rather than only thinking of what didn't happen. I need to give myself credit for all the hard work I do, not just beat myself up for what I can't get to.

3. Not living in the present.

   This is the worst of the lot, I think. Checklists can tempt one to be far too goal oriented and miss the present moment. I read a blog post about type A (likes to have things under control) women married to type B (laid back) men, and how they can complement each other, if they appreciate their differences. The author said that type B sees life as a video, rather than a snapshot of what currently needs to be fixed. They know everything will happen in it's time and that it is all a part of just living.

   I'd like to get on that page, if I can. Not that I want to stop making lists. They are extremely useful and often enjoyable. But I don't want them to stop me from appreciating life while it is being lived. Some projects being started, others being finished. Some messes being cleaned while others are being made. Enjoying the experience of being right in the middle of this big crazy life with the people I love. Enjoying the process. From that viewpoint, a day spent (like today) holding a sick congested baby upright so he can breathe, getting my husband fed, and sharing some laughs together, is just as good as a day where I check off my whole list.

No comments:

Post a Comment