Friday 1 January 2016

Family Friday: New Year 2016

   Not a lot of resolutions going on here this morning. I spent New Year's Eve sick on the couch with chicken soup and watching funny bits from interviews with British actors before an early bed - still better than wearing adult diapers in Times Square! 

   Therefore I am not jumping up to wave at my kitchen with a sparkling wand and lay my relationship with dirty dishes to rest. I might be considering slowing down on the Christmas goodie consumption, but not with an awful lot of commitment. But when I did try to think of what might be a theme to our lives in this upcoming year, my mind rested on Family.

   Without too much explicitude (ha - a new word! feel free to adopt, people!), I believe that we will probably be re-figuring out the role of extended family in our lives - not a bad one, I hope - we love you all dearly - but at the same time finding our identity more as our own family unit. Dad, Mum and son. Husband, wife and the love-made-flesh between us. Team Bee.

   When we married, as Fr. Hattie pointed out in our prep classes, we gave each other new identities that we hadn't had before. When Perrin came into existence, he gave us new ones yet again. We have the ability to embody Love in the world in our own unique way, and for that we have to be able to be there for each other unshakeably, no matter what massive waves there are to ride. If we bury our own selves, wounds, joy and all, into the core of our definition in Love, then hopefully we will find a way to reach out again to our loved ones and all the wounded who show up in our lives.

   With any luck we might find something even more worthy to attempt than clean-kitchenliness.

  A Happy and Fruitful New Year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment